TTEM - Transformational Tools Energy and Mind 

Home    Books    Links    ***Forum***   

Welcome Guest on 28 February 2009.  If you wish to register please see the instructions on the home page.

Username: Password:

Home
    Advanced search
TTEM - Transformational Tools Energy and Mind  |  Mind  |  Mind Power  |  Topic: Original Wisdom - Stories of an Ancient Way of Knowing 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Original Wisdom - Stories of an Ancient Way of Knowing  (Read 1030 times)
Mike
Superhero

Original Wisdom - Stories of an Ancient Way of Knowing
« on: 16 October 2005 »

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0892818662/qid=1129480270/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/002-6130267-3129618?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

5* from 8/8 reviews - which understates what this should get...

A psychologist recounts his time with the Sng'oi of Malaysia - pre-industrial, pre-agricultural people of Malaysia living deep in the rain forest.

It is written in a lovely style (altho the first 1/3 of the book is other stories) and I don't want to spoil the story - but the title gives a clue...

I think it would be nice for anyone to read but especially anyone that finds TTEM things interesting - not least of which as there is another way of knowing and learning which some of us are just lapping the shores of compared to these 'backward' people.  Backwards with respect to technology for sure - but in getting there we have gone a long way backwards in a different dimension.

An absolute must 'stocking filler' for all here....!

Mike

"If I hear Truth couched in a Sufi way or a Christian Mystic way or a Psychotherapeutic way or in a Paleontological way or whatever, you know, its still Truth for me." Ajahn Viradhammo
Barry

« Reply #1 on: 24 February 2006 »

Mike,

Thanks for introducing me to this book. I read it before a couse with Sifu Wong Kiew Kit in Ireland.

What I took from the book was that a teacher can help you to get to a place where you can "connect with the cosmos", "access wisdom" but that it is then up to you.  Smiley

Barry
Mike
Superhero

« Reply #2 on: 24 February 2006 »

LOL!!! It never ceases to amaze me how we all process material so differently lol... a year or so after reading it I recall nothing about teachers lol.. what I recall is that there is a *real* way of *knowing* about the world that is faaaar faaaar different from how we were all taught at school.

So would you recommend it?  Is this the first book to have a double recommendation in ttem??

Mike

ps my RM read it and thought it was great too - but I cant recall on what basis lol - probably a third angle altogether  :lol:

"If I hear Truth couched in a Sufi way or a Christian Mystic way or a Psychotherapeutic way or in a Paleontological way or whatever, you know, its still Truth for me." Ajahn Viradhammo
Barry

« Reply #3 on: 24 February 2006 »

For the avoidance of doubt - I would thoroughly recommend this book to anyone who would find it useful  Smiley
Mike
Superhero

Re: Original Wisdom - Stories of an Ancient Way of Knowing
« Reply #4 on: 10 October 2007 »

http://www.futureprimitive.org/mp3/Wolff071002.mp3 is a really cool interview with Robert Wolff where he reflects on his life and covers a wide range of issues about aboriginal and indigenous life compared to what we have now lost [not least of which this ability to 'drectly know' what according to modern school textbooks cannot be known] but more stimulating and interesting than that makes it sound  smiley

A great guy with some lifetime of experiences who grew up in Sumatra and now is over 85. His website is at http://www.wildwolff.com/  cool  Here is a short clip about himself:

I was born in Suriname, a country in South America, between French Guyana, or Cayenne on the east, and Guyana on the west, which, in turn, borders on Venezuela. I was little more than a year old when my parents (my father was a doctor) moved to Indonesia. But with my wife and one child I came back to live in Suriname after I had finished a few years' study at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. Our second son was born there. My third son was born in Illinois, where we lived for a year. Then we moved to Duluth, Minnesota -- cold and beautiful -- for four years. My fourth son was born in California, when I had an appointment at the University of Calfornia, San Francisco Medical Center. They sent me and mfamily out to Malaysia which had just become independent. From Malaysia we moved to Hawai'i, where I still live.

One of the first things I learned growing up was that most of the children around me, and certainly later in school, were not white. For some reason -- I am not sure why even now -- I was embarrassed and eventually ashamed of my white skin. I learned early that our difference was not only of skin color, They -- my other family as I call them, and the people of the country -- lived close to the earth; felt themselves a part of All That Is. They were inventive, knew how to make do. They laughed often, but never loudly. They experienced the world around us as alive.

My mother and father, as most westerners, saw their environment as scenery or resource. My parents expressed their love for me in high hopes and expectations, and very definite ideas about how I was to achieve their expectations. My other family loved me as I was, for who I was, from day to day, not for anthing I did or did not do,  or my ideas. I never questioned that when I needed a bosom to cry in, or a strong arm to rescue me from some stupidity, my other family would be there for me. With them I did not have to pretend I was tougher than I had yet learned to be. They did not believe that I was all-powerful, and I did not either.

cool

Mike

Pages: [1] Print 
TTEM - Transformational Tools Energy and Mind  |  Mind  |  Mind Power  |  Topic: Original Wisdom - Stories of an Ancient Way of Knowing « previous next »
Jump to:  

TTEM - Transformational Tools Energy and Mind | Powered by SMF 1.0.8.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.