TTEM - Transformational Tools Energy and Mind 

Home    Books    Links    ***Forum***   

Welcome Guest on 28 February 2009.  If you wish to register please see the instructions on the home page.

Username: Password:

Home
    Advanced search
TTEM - Transformational Tools Energy and Mind  |  Mind  |  TTEM in Western Psychology/Therapy  |  Topic: Samuel Sagan - "Entity Possession" 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Samuel Sagan - "Entity Possession"  (Read 818 times)
Mike
Superhero

Samuel Sagan - "Entity Possession"
« on: 18 December 2007 »

Here is the blurb to "Entity Possession" by Samuel Sagan MD

"With many clinical examples, and a profound knowledge of European, Chinese,
and Vedic esoteric lore, Dr. Sagan shows us how permeable we truly are, and how
to discern the presence of entities in our psychology and in our lives. Far from a
new idea, this work is grounded in the most ancient traditions of the world."

—Stephen Larsen, author of The Mythic Imagination and Fire
in the Mind, the authorized biography of Joseph Campbell

For centuries Eastern traditions have taken the subject of entity possession quite seriously. Ayurveda, the traditional medicine of India, recognizes bhutas or entities and their influence on mental and physical well-being, as well as the ways they can be evicted from the individual. Now, in a work that is unique in Western literature, Dr. Samuel Sagan examines the problem of these incorporeal beings that act as parasites on humans causing various emotional, mental, and physical problems. Using actual case studies Dr. Sagan presents the facts of entity possession, analyzes their mechanisms and motivations, and includes many tips on how to dislodge these parasites from the individuals whose lives are thrown out of balance by their presence. A Landmark study that presents sound analysis and treatment of this phenomenon, Entity Possession demystifies a topic that has long been overdramatized by the folklore surrounding possession and exorcism.

SAMUEL SAGAN, M.D., studied medicine at Paris 5 Faculty of Medicine and Sanskrit at Censier Sorbonne Nouvelle University. He was awarded a silver medal for his medical thesis and was also elected a member of the French Society of the History of Medicine. Dr. Sagan currently lives in Australia where he directs the Clairvision School.

...and from the introduction:

introduction

The term "entity" refers to nonphysical beings—presences that come to be attached to human beings and act as parasites, thereby creating vari­ous emotional, mental, and physical problems ranging from eating dis­orders and uncontrollable emotions to the most severe diseases.

The topic is both old and new: old, because in all traditions and folklores of the earth, one finds references to spirits and nonphysical beings that can interfere with human beings. Thus Ayurveda, the tradi­tional medicine of India, is divided into eight sections, one of which is entirely devoted to the study of bhutas, or entities, their influence on health and sanity, and the ways one can get rid of them. This places bhuta-vidya, or "science of entities," on the same level as surgery or gy-necology. If we look at traditional Chinese medicine, we find that in acupuncture, among the 361 points of the fourteen main meridians, seventeen have the word Kuei (discarnate spirit) as part of their main or secondary name.

At the same time, in the Western world, the topic of entities can be regarded as quite new, for it has very rarely been studied seriously. Even though entities appear to play a significant role in a number of mental and health disorders, minor and major, one does not find a systematic way to deal with them in any of the main forms of therapy presently used. The number of qualified therapists capable of handling entities properly is negligible.

The purpose of this book is to present certain basic facts relating to entities and to analyze their mechanisms, motivations, and functioning. Over the years, I have noted word for word what my clients have said when getting in touch with entities and exploring them. It should be emphasized that these clients comprised people of all ages, from teens to late eighties, and with varied occupations, from housewives and stu­dents to politicians, prostitutes, and Catholic nuns. Perhaps the only thing these people had in common was that none had the faintest knowl­edge of entities and their mechanisms. Moreover, I never told them at the beginning of the session that I considered them to have an entity. I let them discover it for themselves through the ISIS technique (the main principles of which are outlined in chapter 1). Yet when analyzing the material contained in hundreds of case studies and related observations, a remarkably coherent pattern emerged as to what entities want, how they interfere with their hosts, and why and how they came to invade them. I was astonished at the precision, the richness of detail, and the consistency with which clients described their entity.

More than anything else it is this pattern, or "entity syndrome," that I wish to share with the reader. In the first two chapters, I present the facts with the words used by the clients themselves while discovering and exploring their entity.

Chapters 3, 4, and 5 describe a pattern aimed at understanding what most entities are, where they originated, and the why and how of their behavior.

Chapters 6 and 7 are devoted to the extremely important topic of the influence of entities in the fields of pregnancy and gynecology. One of my findings has been that delivery, miscarriage, and abortion are among the high-risk situations for catching an entity, and some basic information on the topic can save women a lot of problems.

Chapter 8 describes the main circumstances in which it is possible to catch an entity. Chapter 9 presents an inventory of the main catego­ries of beings that can act as entities.

In Chapters 10, 11, and 12, a number of side-mechanisms related to entities are described, in particular, cords of energy linking parents and children, thereby creating distorted patterns of relationship.

Chapter 13 discusses the topic of possession and presents a few observations of extraordinary entities. Yet it should be clear that, while treating clients with entities, I have found the cliches related to exor­cism and possession irrelevant, unfortunate, and counterproductive to a sound approach to the phenomenon. It is time for the public to start facing the topic of entities squarely, instead of being negatively influ­enced and misled by all the folklore attached to it. The purpose of this book is therefore to dedramatize and demystify the topic, by looking at entities from the point of view of experience and mechanisms, rather than from religious or emotionally tainted perspectives.

In Chapters 14 and 15, indications on the procedure we use to explore and remove entities at the Clairvision School in Sydney are given. A number of restrictions and possible dangers related to the clearing process are dealt with in detail.

One of the observations I have made in recent years is that more and more people are able to perceive entities. It therefore seems likely to me that the topic treated in this book will, in the coming decades, concern an ever-growing number of therapists and spiritual seekers.

Samuel Sagan, M.D.
Web site: http://clairvision.org
« Last Edit: 20 December 2007 by Mike » Logged

"If I hear Truth couched in a Sufi way or a Christian Mystic way or a Psychotherapeutic way or in a Paleontological way or whatever, you know, its still Truth for me." Ajahn Viradhammo
Mike
Superhero

Re: Entities, Psychiatry & Samuel Sagan
« Reply #1 on: 18 December 2007 »

...and here is a couple of Case Study from the book:

Chapter 10
Entities and Past-Lives

Within the context of the Clairvision work, it is often during the course of a past-life exploration conducted with the ISIS technique that entities are discovered. Let us begin with a case study.

10.1 THE BODILESS HEAD

Case study 10.1 :Twenty-seven-year-old librarian, male. He was exploring an entity that first appeared to him in an ISIS session as a dark cloud located in his left side, behind the ribs.

Q:  What does "the thing" look like?
A:   I can see a head. It looks Chinese, with a long mustache.
Q:  Is there a body that goes with this head?
A:   No, just a head. A grotesque head, like a caricature.
Q:  Have you ever seen it before?
A:   No. But it feels familiar.
Q:  Are there any emotions or feelings associated with the head?
A: Hatred. It hates me. Its eyes are looking at me as if it wanted to kill me. It says, "I'll kill you. It's just a question of time. I'll attract some men who will come and beat you up. And I'll make you (all sick and you'll die." [The client starts spinning backward in time with the ISIS technique.1 He remains silent for a while, immersed in the inner space. Then:] I can see horses. Fear. Some men have come to take me. My hands are tied behind my back and they are taking me somewhere. They are brutal; I'm afraid they're going to kill me. They take me to a man in a tent. This man has the same head, but with a full body, like a real person. His features look normal, whereas the head is grotesque, nearly inhuman. The man hits me in the face. He has captured me to put pressure on my father. Somehow my father seems to be someone important, and they're trying to ransom him, or maybe force him to take a certain political decision, or something like that. [Spinning again] The brigand's plan went wrong. My fathers men came and set me free. The brigand is beaten. And tortured. And mutilated. They take all his property and they send him away. He becomes an outcast, a wanderer wearing rags and begging for his food. He keeps on thinking about me, hating me. He can't forget. It becomes an obsession. He prays he'll have an occasion to take his revenge. Up to his very last day, he was obsessed with hatred.
Q:  What happened after he died?
A:   The head was waiting for me.
Q: Where was it?
A:   Somewhere in space, in a dark area. Waiting for me to come back. Not long after I was born it found me. It was very happy when it found me. It said, "Now, I'm going to give you a real hard time." When I was a child, it used to make me feel panic in the dark for no reason. It was the same head, it was just that I couldn't see it.

In a number of cases, while exploring entities with the ISIS technique clients reexperience what they consider to be a past-life episode in which seems to lie the key to their present problem. If we apply our pattern of understanding to the case study given above, we find that an angry and vengeful fragment was released and waited patiently in the astral space before it could find its victim again. As we have seen, the fragment appears to the client as a grotesque caricature of the Chinese brigand's face.

One can easily conceive that the accumulated hatred and bitterness of the brigand were favorable conditions to generate a very crystallized astral fragment. If a man broods over revenge every single day of his life, the corresponding thought form in his astral body gets solidified and sharp. He is therefore likely to release quite a coherent and noxious frangment when he dies.

...and some comments from the conclusion

An essential point is that the knowledge of entities offers rich therapeutic perspectives.  Many clients who present as "entity syndrome" have gone from therapist to therapist without getting much relief, for conventional forms of therapy are completely inefficient in their case.  On the other hand a proper clearing can give immediate results.  It does now solve all the client's problems, of course, but often unlocks the situation and allows them to move toward a resolution of the trouble, whether emotional or physical.

I thought the last sentence shows what a balanced chap Sagan is... many of these books present 'one thing' as the answer to everything (rather than an important component).

Hope keeping you folks enriched with food for thought grin

Mike

"If I hear Truth couched in a Sufi way or a Christian Mystic way or a Psychotherapeutic way or in a Paleontological way or whatever, you know, its still Truth for me." Ajahn Viradhammo
Mike
Superhero

« Reply #2 on: 19 December 2007 »

Entity Possession is a great book and Sagan is an excellent author.. scientifically trained westerner studies Hinduism, Taoism, meditates for years and has psychic skills... so a very robust book and clear explanations.  Funnily enough its very kind of 'matter of fact' ... every now and then one does think "this is nuts" but then there is another case study and one cant dispute those.

The thing which comes out of all of these things is time and time again what a tiny narrow paradigm western stuff is (in all its intellectual arrogance) - particularly around birth/gynaecology/death rituals its clear that we are missing some important processes and opening ourselves unecessarily to problems that we cant label and cant cure. On the other hand a decent shaman from any 'original' culture would be able to recognise and sort these things in a way that a lifetime of drugs and psychotherapy wont even touch.

Anyway Grof said all that stuff before me and far more eloquently.

First some background on Sagan:

Samuel Sagan, Facts

Born in Paris, 18 July 1957, 1:27 PM, Samuel Sagan started practicing meditation during his teens.

This early passion for meditation led him to study medicine at Paris Faculty of Medicine and Sanskrit at Censier Sorbonne Nouvelle University.

Samuel Sagan first geared his medical studies towards neurosurgery and psychiatry, but soon became disabused with the practice of conventional medicine. After completing his medical degree (M.D.) he studied under a Taoist master, acquired degrees in acupuncture and homeopathy and practiced medicine in France with a focus on alternative therapies and healing.

After several long trips to India, he wrote a thesis for a Doctorate of Medicine on the topic of chakras and subtle bodies in the Hindu tradition. For this voluminous work, supported by original Sanskrit translations, he was not only awarded the title of Doctor of Medicine but also a silver medal (2nd highest possible award for a medical thesis in France), and the title of 'faculty prize-winner'. He was elected to the French Society of History of Medicine. He also completed a Master of Sacred Science, and a Doctorate of Divinity from the International Gnostic church.

In the early 1980s, he was so impressed with the results obtained through regression therapy that he made it his main therapeutic modality when working with patients. Over a period of fifteen years, this would lead him to develop the ISIS technique and the Inner Space Techniques of alternative therapy.

From 1983 to 1987, he stopped all activities to practice full-time meditation.

Feeling the need to establish a center where genuine seekers could receive real training in meditation – with techniques that work! – Samuel Sagan chose to migrate to Australia. In 1987 he arrived in Sydney, where he founded the Clairvision School. He became an Australian citizen in 1989.

Since then, Samuel Sagan's life has been dedicated to teaching meditation and Inner Space Techniques. He has trained hundreds of past-life therapists, taught the Clairvision techniques of awakening the third eye to thousands of people, and given more than 2,000 lectures, transcripts of which amount to approximately 5 million words.

Samuel Sagan is the author of fifteen books. Some of them are manuals, such as A Language to Map Consciousness, Awakening The Third Eye, Regression, Past Life Therapy for Here and Now Freedom. Others are novels, using the storytelling format to pass on teachings about meditation: Sleeper Awaken!, The Return of the Flying Dragon...

There are presently more than 200,000 books in print. Works by Samuel Sagan have been translated into French, Spanish, German, Portuguese and Polish.

What a dude smiley

Mike

Mike
Superhero

Re: Entities, Psychiatry & Samuel Sagan - what is an entity?
« Reply #3 on: 19 December 2007 »

First what entities are not "Entities are not full human Spirits who have lost their way and become attached to a living human being.  If four weeks after the death of your aunt you happen to catch an entity that feels like her, it is just a fragment of her astral body, not her immortal soul trapped inside you."  However that fragment will have a very distorted (and mechanical (ie repetitive)) agenda ie it will not 'be like' your aunt even if it feels like her.

The other thing is that entities are very hard to catch (generally in some trauma situation) but also hard to get rid of.

Sagan's basic model of a human is:

i) physical
ii) etheric
iii) astral (thoughts, emotions)
iv) higher self

He says 99% of entities that he has dealt with are energies or fragments only 1% are trickier things.  For someone with the right technique clearing them is simple.  For someone without they could end up with the entity stuck in them  Uh?

Major categories of nasty:

i) Xie Qi

'Perverse qi' - not so much bad qi (altho it wont do you any good) - but misplaced or inappropriate (cf garden compost bacteria moved to your gut).  Etheric matter on its own.

ii) Fragments

By far the most common kind... "fragments are characters that have broken off from the astral body of a human being. When they were attached to the astral body they were under the influence of the rest of the personality and repressed by a number of factors."

Fragments are a combination of etheric and astral matter that eg break up when the astral body shatters after death [eg in Chinese tradition one has many 'souls' (subpersonalities maybe) all bound together (Po and Hun) and dissolution can produce a Kuei (Chinese for entity) about which there are many traditional stories].  However they are not energetically capable of independent existence and so become parasitic to a human.  Althought they drain energy from the host and can cause all sorts of problems there is no kind of evil intent here just a kind of mechanical replaying of how they were programmed [eg one example given of a nice sweet old aunt dying and a relative catching a fragment which was like aunty but really into sex and violence  Uh?]

[Ghosts are not parasitic entities in this context but fragments of extremely crystallised astral matter bound to a house/place rather than a person]

iii) Elementals and nature spirits

"Indian, Chinese, and Tibetan records on entities all mention the possibility of elemental spirits of nature behaving like entities at times and creating various health or mental disorders."

iv) minority category but too numerous to mention.

Anyway in conclusion I would say that Sagan is a great author, western trained medic who started down the neurology and psychiatry line but went in more esoteric directions.  This book is clearly, factually written with plenty of examples of Case Studies.

I would say its a must for any esoteric library.  Some may find the topic scary (but fear of the unknown can be worse than knowing), others may find it crazy (in which case one has to explain away decades of healing, native traditions, psychic insights).

regards

Mike

Mike
Superhero

« Reply #4 on: 19 December 2007 »

And just for completeness I should add that he also covers:

-  cords and the problems they cause (esp. between parent-child, lovers (both in this life and past) as well as the important point that they can remain connected to fragments and persist between lives)

-  soul loss/fragmentation - when part of the astral you wanders off, doesnt come down etc etc.  We all have these to varying degrees but for some people it amounts to literally sleepwalking through life  sad

So net net the problems in this area fall into three areas:

i) excess 'presence'
ii) excess 'connection'
and
iii) 'absence'

Quite a cool framework 

I appreciate Sagan even more after dipping into a far thicker work by Modi which on the one hand has a vastly more complex categorisation and on the other manages to mention God or Satan in every other paragraph confused (dont think Sagan mentions any religious framework whastoever - beyond the basic metaphysical model of physical/ethereal/astral/higher-self).

May Samuel Sagan live long and prosper!  One of the more illumating tomes in terms of making the esoteric and contentious seem clear and everyday.

Good luck with all your entities, cords and missing soul fragments guys  wink ... amazing one can walk and talk with all this going on rolleyes [mind you not a lot of difference to reading a medical textbook and deciding that one must have several brain tumours, a handful of rare syndromes and only days to live wink ]

Mike
« Last Edit: 19 December 2007 by Mike » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
TTEM - Transformational Tools Energy and Mind  |  Mind  |  TTEM in Western Psychology/Therapy  |  Topic: Samuel Sagan - "Entity Possession" « previous next »
Jump to:  

TTEM - Transformational Tools Energy and Mind | Powered by SMF 1.0.8.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.